If A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words, What Is A Video Worth?

My fourth graders have produced a 5 minute video that tells the story of how we Skyped a classmate that has leukemia into our classroom. To see the video click the image below:

skype-day-one.jpg
This entry was posted in Digital Video, Education, Inclusion, Messy Learning, Project Based, Skypecast, Student Access, Technology, Video Skype, Web 2.0. Bookmark the permalink.

96 Responses to If A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words, What Is A Video Worth?

1. Elizabeth says:

Well, there’s nothing like sitting in a hotel room in Tonopah and getting tear-y watching this amazing video. This is amazing. I said this in an earlier post, but I feel as though I’m watching history happen. Applause, Brian & company.

2. Brian,

You and your fourth graders should be recognized and commended on such a wonderful job you are doing with this. As you well know, in the past students in the same situation as Celeste would have only received a weekly or daily packet of work to complete so that they could keep up with the class. If they were lucky, the school district may have sent a home school teacher to her house to tutor her. What your class is doing is remarkable and shows how these new technologies can be best used in our schools. Congratulations on such a wonderful job and please let your students know that I completely enjoyed watching their video about this.

Brian Grenier
    El Paso, TX

3. Mark Ahlness says:

Brian, this is just so amazing. You are certainly expanding some thinking and some lives. Congratulations to you all.

4. Jeff Utecht says:

Amazing. There’s using technology in your classroom, and then there is using technology.

This is amazing Brian. I will be sharing this with anyone that will watch. Great work my friend.

5. Alec Couros says:

Wow! I am doing an Internet Awareness seminar today, where we go over some of the “evils” of the Internet. Since I am much more biased toward Internet and tools than I am against it (e.g., I don’t believe in filtering, blocked access, lock-ins, lock-outs, etc.), I always leave the audience with some of the reasons why we NEED Internet access in our classrooms and why there should be no blockage to the tools we choose.

Rather than explain away, I think I will just leave this video speak for itself. This is very powerful! Thanks so much for sharing.

6. Karl Fisch says:

Inspiring. Tell all your students that they are teaching us . . .

7. Pingback: Professional Development Project » Blog Archive » Creating an inclusive classrooom…

8. Brian and students, thanks so much for sharing this with us! I know I have much to learn as I watch your progress…and from such able teachers!

Best wishes to you and all your students!

Diane

9. Pingback: Ontario Blogs » Blog Archive » Creating an inclusive classrooom…

10. Wow! I’m speechless. What power life lessons and thinking you and your students have shared with us all. Thank you!

11. Doug Noon says:

I’m speechless. Wow.

12. Karen says:

What a wonderful video – I am really impressed with your students. Never mind the great use of technology – the whole concept of including Celeste in your class is something your students will always remember.
    I look forward to updates. Congratulations to you and your class!

13. This is the real reason we think technology is important.

14. AprilMJ says:

You’ve made a convert. Being a district admin, I am initially cautious of new technologies that may tax an already overextended system… but you’ve proven that the cost is far outweighed by the benefits.

Congrats. You’ve touched more than one life.

15. Brian this video footage is simply amazing as many others have said, it shows how truly education should embrace the motto ‘Every Child matters’ . I hope that you won’t mind me showing it to as many people in the UK as I can – very best wishes and keep up the good work Paul H ( Wales UK)

16. Dan Lake says:

Brian, a very powerful production. Kudos to you and your students.

I notice the copyright at the end.
    May I acquire the file to put on my local Blackboard service for my 23 Central NY school districts to access? If so, just send me an email and maybe let others know how they may use your fine work to further your message and techniques!

Thanks again to you and your kids for a very meaningful movie!!

17. So much was reinforced here beyond the obvious “integration”.

Caring
    Commmunity
    Sharing
    Friendship
    inclusion

Well done!

Justin Medved

18. Carol Mayer says:

This is a wonderful example of why all classrooms should have access to the Internet and tools such as Skype. Congratulations to Celeste and the rest of the students for working together to make this happen. Thanks for sharing – these are the kinds of examples our reluctant decision makers need to see.

19. Sharing this today in my class with preservice elementary teachers at the College of William and Mary and 200 inservice teachers in Alabama. I plan to blog about it too. Wow.

This is so powerful. Thank your students for me.

20. Pingback: Ideas and Thoughts from an EdTech » Videos making a difference

21. Dave Sherman says:

Brian,
    At the risk of being redundant, I also want to tell you how wonderful this project is. I plan on sharing this with my staff, and with our district administrators. Thank you for inspiring me!

22. Lisa Saffran says:

Brian,
    My son was diagnosed in the summer before fourth grade with Leukemia. We tried a program similar to Skype, it was not so clear. I am thrilled to see a program that can mainstream a child with low immunities into the classroom. As a parent of a child who is sick, and as a fourth grade teacher myself, I am in awe. Thank you for your support, your insight and your love.

23. Kaite Robert says:

Brian,
    What a great way to make a child feel apart of the class. My Daughter Caroline has NHL and was unable to go to school for months. Not being able to see friends and school mates really took a toll on her. She now relapsed after three years of being off treatment and will miss the rest of the year due to chemo.

I am sure that your class changed Celestes live in a very good way.

Every school should be doing this!

24. Mike Arsenault says:

Brian,

Fantastic job including Celeste in your classroom using Skype. It’s great to see the connections that a teacher who cares can make with his students. Keep up the great work!

This is a tremendous lesson for your students in accepting students who are different.

Mike Arsenault
    Yarmouth, Maine

25. WOW!! My son has recently finished treatment for high-risk acute lymphoblastic leukemia and this would’ve helped him a great deal in keeping up with (although his school is also an exemplary group of compassionate people who jumped through hoops for him). My utmost respect and thanks for sharing your innovation and for extending your classroom to those who need it.

Also, last but certainly not least: Way to go, Celest!! There were many days when even low levels of activity would’ve been too taxing for my son so I’m happy for you and glad that you’re getting a chance to do things with a classroom full of caring people. Feel free to contact me if you ever need encouragement! Get well – you’ll be in my prayers!

26. Tom Turner says:

Huzzah for you! Having taught inclusion for the last 1 1/2 years, the last 1/2 of which I’ve had a young lady with CP who does not communicate verbally it is TRULY amazing how technology allows all to share in a Free and Appropriate Education.

Again, Kudos to you and your class!

27. John Pearce says:

Hi Brian,

Quite apart from the very real human element of this whole brilliant exercise, your students, (including the very brave Celeste), are to be congratulated for the extrememely coherent and well presented introduction to using video Skype. More power to you all, I shall be showing this video to my class down here in Geelong, Victoria, Australia.

PS huge credit to you too in bringing together the diverse aspects of the technology.

28. Pingback: SEEDlings » The power of technology in the classroom

29. This is amazing. Thank you for sharing. It is great to see students and teachers utilizing technology in ways behond the obvious! This experience is one that they will all remember forever.

30. Roxy Kohler says:

Awesome post! Thanks for the “tutorial” on skype. If you don’t mind – I’d like to link this video to our science grant we are working on “Alaskans Scientists of the Future” (ASOF) where we are video conferencing, using Skype, between Anchorage, Prince William Sound, Denali, and Hawaii.
    Roxy Kohler

31. Kristi Bush says:

This is such a worthwhile project! You and your students are wonderful people! :) Thanks for planting this seed in the minds of other educators. Has Skype heard what you are up to? I sure hope so!

32. Luís Olmedo says:

Hi. I’m a 44 years old English teachers at Francisco Lazo Martí High School in Apure State in Venezuela. I’m surprised about what you people do over there. You know I’d like to have an interactive classroom as you have. In that way, students never, but never, get bored and learn more through awaken classes. Congratulations to the responsible teacher.

33. Simply awesome, Brian. Keep us out here in the edublogosphere up to date with your progress in your inclusive classroom. So often that phrase “inclusion” gets bandied around without any meaning but you’ve turned it into a verb here.

34. Pingback: Isn’t That Interesting? » Inclusion

35. Pingback: Experiencing ELearning 2.0 « Fielding Graduate University North East Cluster

36. Pingback: U Tech Tips - » Utecht’s Daily Links 02/06/2007

37. Pingback: Business and Communications School » Blog Archive » News for February 15, 2007

38. Ric Murry says:

Brian,

First, thank you for sharing this story.
    Second, I shared this video with the faculty and staff at the school where I teach. Several teachers asked me to express their appreciation for what you are doing.
    Third, I have written about this as part of my own reflective thoughts on “best practices” in education. Your work is among the best examples of any kind I’ve seen of teaching students with modern technology, and the best in the area of “inclusion.” You are changing lives and attitudes in your classroom, and around the world.

I wish you and your class only the best. Say hello to your students, and I wish Celeste and her family God’s blessings.

39. Pingback: Digital Writing, Digital Teaching

40. Ted Lysiak says:

Inspiring to say the least! Great job kids, you are truly caring individuals who understand how important learning is. Keep up the great work!

And kudos to the teacher for allowing technology to change the way learning takes place. One of the most powerful uses of technology I have ever witnessed!

41. Pingback: BlogWalker » Blog Archive » Showing Web 2.0

42. Pingback: Learning Is Messy - Blog » Blog Archive » Inclusion Update 2-19-07

43. Trish Bergstrom says:

This is truly inspiring. The teacher in me just decided to kick it up a notch. I truly appreciate the lengths the entire class went to ensure that all students were included. This is what education is supposed to look like.

44. What a wonderful connection between the students and teachers. A true caring community!

45. Wesley Fryer says:

Great work Mr. Crosby’s 4th grade students and Mr. Crosby! Your example is a powerful one that I’m glad so many others are able to learn about thanks to the Internet and this blog. Please continue to keep us posted about how your learning experiences with Celeste go. You have told us a powerful story that is literally being heard around the world. Keep up the creative and caring work you’re doing together!

46. Pingback: Moving at the Speed of Creativity » Blog Archive » Connecting learners with outside experts and each other

47. Mike Temple says:

Many thanks to all involved with this, especially the students.
    What a great way to connect with others in a supportive classroom environment.

I shall be sharing this with others to act as a catalyst in promoting often misunderstood web 2.0 technologies. It has been my personal drive and quest of late to gather and share, so thanks to all for helping me do this

“The road to a friend’s house is never long.” – Danish proverb – and in this case the road to Celeste’s house has been removed completely

48. Pingback: Leigh’s adventure » You have to view this

49. Leigh Newton says:

Dear Mr Crosby and kids,

this is one of the most important videos on education that I have ever seen. While I already believe strongly in the value of ICT in the classroom, I am impressed with your creativity and intiative in coming up with an elegant solution to a difficult problem that teachers have experienced since teaching began. I have a hunch that Celeste is not the only person who benefited from your clever idea. I am an Aussie sitting here in Istanbul, Turkey, where I’m teaching at The Koç (pron: coach) School.

Thanks for an inspiring video. I think you’ve changed the world for the better.

50. Brenda Frisk says:

Dear Mr. Crosby and all of the 4th Grade Class,
    What a great journey you have all started. As I read through the postings that many have left for you on your blog I am touched by the global connection you have made. I too am quite a distance away – in New Zealand. I am also a strong advocate for ICT and continue to work to bring new technologies into the classroom – but it is still the heart and spirit of human nature I believe that really makes technology shine.

Well done, you are all a great inspiration!