If A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words, What Is A Video Worth?

My fourth graders have produced a 5 minute video that tells the story of how we Skyped a classmate that has leukemia into our classroom. To see the video click the image below:

skype-day-one.jpg
This entry was posted in Digital Video, Education, Inclusion, Messy Learning, Project Based, Skypecast, Student Access, Technology, Video Skype, Web 2.0. Bookmark the permalink.

97 Responses to If A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words, What Is A Video Worth?

1. Pingback: Open Resource Centre : Inclusion at its best - using the tools - update

2. Yep.

Clap-clap and then another resounding echo from a million other hands. Care to ellucidate how you’ve got past the IP, privacy and security protocols for your clients in your respective organisation ?

Of course…..the technology is the enabler. It’s the hedgemony thats the issue.

3. Stephen Rahn says:

Like most who have seen this, I am also speechless. Fantastic work!

4. Pingback: links for 2007-03-03 | On Influence and Automation

5. This has been a favorite of mine since you posted it. Reading an article today about buddies helping out an ill classmate gave me an awesome opportunity to share this video in context. My students loved it. Even when we had a technical glitch with Quicktime, the kids were bummed but patient waiting for it to fix itself. Thank you so much for allowing me to start a whole new discussion about true friendship and caring for fellow classmates. it is one thing to talk about it. It is another to bring in reality of what younger students are doing.

6. Brian says:

Alexander Hayes – my district doesn’t block Skype, Flickr, Blogs – but does block Myspace, YouTube – our greatest hurdle is a relatively slow connection – may get a boost soon, but I’m not holding my breath.

7. Congratulations to Mr. Crosby and the Fourth Graders at Agnes Riley School. I saw your great video “Inclusion” on the Internet yesterday and liked it so much that I am sending a link of your video to over 120 teachers in Southeastern Indiana. My job is to promote the use of video conferencing within K-12 schools in Southeastern Indiana and I think this video is a wonderful example of how video conferencing can be used in the classroom. Thank you Kids and Mr. Crosby for making my job a little easier.

Jerry R. Steuerwald
    Distance Learning Specialist
    Wilson Education Center
    Charlestown, Indiana

8. Pingback: Learning Is Messy - Blog » Blog Archive » Youthbridges Audio Skype Interview Experience

9. Pingback: Learning Is Messy - Blog » Blog Archive »

10. Pingback: Inclusion — helping a classmate join the classroom from home at Bluezooka

11. Pingback: Inclusion — helping a classmate join the classroom from home at Remove The Labels :: gadgets, rants, rambling and more…

12. I wasn’t going to cry, no, not me…..but when the class all shouted hello for the first time to Celeste, well, ok, it got me big time. A big thumbs up to all of you!

13. It’s nice and beautiful. All the students can communicate and feel.
    If the lonely pepple are participated in this kind of way, they are more active and motivate. good luck~~

14. Terri Cerda says:

Oh help!

I cannot open the video but I would like to say…..I have 5 and 7 year old daughters with genius IQs. They cannot ever go to school because of an immune disorder. We are fighting tooth and nail with the school district to allow my children the opportunity to interact with other children through video conferencing. They are arguing that it is a violation of privacy, but they use it for their students in the classroom. They are refusing to accept that our children have social needs and will not address them until we prove social incompetency. My little girls are so special and so intact emotionally and I want to keep it that way. My advocacy team is beginning to agree with the school that they do not have to consider social needs unless we prove social incompetency. This is so intensely upsetting to us and we need all the help we can get. I tried to open this video and thought that perhaps I could forward it on to the person at the schools who is causing the problems for us. Our battle is unbeleiveable.

Please, please post or emial recommendations. My advocates are refusing to support us through this unless I can find case law or legally support inclusion for my children and I am not finding anything. It is very hard for me to beleive that it is not out there somewhere.

Terri

15. Pingback: Learning Is Messy - Blog » Blog Archive » The Gift That Keeps On Giving

16. Pingback: Learning Is Messy - Blog » Blog Archive » Have You Used Every Tool In Your Toolbox? Did You Throw Away Those You Haven’t Used Yet?

17. Deirdre says:

What an amazing video! When I was 7, I was hospitalized in an isolation ward for a month with no contact except hospital staff. How wonderful it would have been to have been able to connect to others in this way. Congratulations to your class for making this video.

18. Kylie says:

I think that is very cool that you can do this. It is amazing how far technology has come. I never knew you could do this. Very cool!

19. Ashley says:

I think Skype is a really neat idea. I find it amazing that Fourth Graders knew how to do this and could teach us and I am a Senior in High School and had no idea what it even was! I think that if kids are homebound for some reason this would really help and that our High School’s laptops should really look into it!

20. Kristen Cortes says:

Hello,
    Your class seems wonderful. I think it is great that you are intermingling alot of different types of things into the classroom. I have a epilepsy support website called ready set walk, and I work with the epilepsy foundation of virginia. We are having a art contest for fourth graders on “wear a helmet, prevent epilepsy”. Your class seems like they would love to be involved in something like this. Email me and let me know. I have all the information for you if you and your class would like to participate. My alternate email is klcortes@yahoo.com, I am looking forward to hearing from you.
    Kristen :)

21. Pingback: If A Picture is Worth 1000 Words « ED C&I 831 Ken Meredith’s Blog

22. Lorraine Hermiston says:

This should be what NCLB (No Child Left Behind) really means.

23. Chris says:

Brian,

You are doing a great job. Celest has a lot of courage and spunk, and I appreciate that. My family and I will be praying for her and her family as the days go on.

Thanks

24. Lafeeu says:

Congratulations on such a wonderful job and please let your students know that I completely enjoyed watching their video about this.

25. Pingback: Learning Is Messy - Blog » Blog Archive » eSchool News Publishes My Article

26. Pingback: Skype « Instructional Technology

27. Pingback: Twenty Minutes for Tech » Blog Archive » Skype is a Valuable Educational Tool

28. A. Garcia says:

Such a wonderful way to show the world the possibilities technology affords us (in education). Thanks to Celeste and all of you for sharing!

29. Pingback: Langwitches » Reasons for Skyping in the Classroom

30. Pingback: Integrating Technology w/Skype « The Learning 2.0 School

31. Pingback: Learning Is Messy - Blog » Blog Archive » Leaving Their Mark

32. Dianne says:

I am a homebound teacher. I currently have 6 students that I serve in their homes daily. I am in constant contact with their classroom teachers and keep the connection open between school and home, as much as possible. I see Skyping as a wonderful tool to not only help with the academics but really be a social connection for all of my students. Thank you for sharing your ideas and your wonderful 4th grade class with us.

33. Pingback: Skype is a Valuable Educational Tool « Technology And Gadget Info

34. Helena Coughlin says:

What a fabulous opportunity for the students in Crosby’s class in developing computer skills that will last them a lifetime. It was really heartening to see the little girl able to attend school from home. This was really special.

35. Pingback: Life is messy « Vicky Franchino

36. Terry Essary says:

@Terri Cerda:
    Could it be that you weren’t able to open the video because of the format? If your media player says it can’t open or recognize the format, you can download other players for free (like KM Player or Quicktime Player) and play it that way. It is a wonderful video and well worth watching. I understand what you are going through. I teach at a school where we are getting more and more restricted on technology access instead of less. Just this week, I was told that I would not be allowed to use the labs for at least another 6 weeks because my classes were taking too long to complete a project, even though I am one of only 3 teachers that make use of the labs. If you need help with the video, email me at TJEssary at gmail.

Terry

37. When Ed Roberts got polio (1952) he missed school for over a year. He had to listen to his classes by telephone. He became the Father of Independent Living. Check out my recent blog post http://climbingeverymountain.com/ed-roberts-day-be-extraordinary/

Congratulations to all of you for using technology to include your classmate. Sending get well cards is nice, but including your classmate shows a much higher level of caring.

38. melanie says:

This video is inspiring. I am a teacher-to-be and last semester I had a class on inclusive practices. This video really reinforces the content of that class and shows a real-life application of using technology to include those students who cannot physically be in our classroom. I love how it all began with a discussion about how the students would feel in such an isolated situation; I think that really empowered them and made them embrace their new classmate and the method of interaction. It seemed to really set an atmosphere of acceptance. Thank you so much for sharing.

39. Pingback: Leaving Their Mark – Redux | Learning Is Messy – Blog

40. Pingback: » Reflection: Learning is Messy Amy Gasser

41. Pingback:   Skype as disruptive educational technology by ClintLalonde.net

42. Pingback: The Technology Toolbox | Tech Savvy Teachers

43. Shannon says:

Hi Brian –

First of all, what you did here is amazing! Kudos to you for utilizing technology and creative thinking to change the life of that little girl! What an amazing opportunity for the rest of your class as well, what a great real world lesson in inclusion and compassion! Bravo!

My next question is this, I came across this blog while I was researching different methods of using video conferencing to create opportunities for distance learning. I teach in a gifted school for 1st-7th graders and we are looking into ways of including students from outside of our school in our advanced level math classes. We have iPads with facetime and laptops with built in webcams, but I was wondering if you would be willing to chat a little bit about how you went about setting everything up/problems you had/advice you would give etc. My email is slgoerke@gbaps.org – make sure to include “gbaps” in the subject line, or it won’t get through my school’s spam blocker! :)

Thank you for everything you are doing for your students!
    Talk to you soon!

Shannon

44. Pingback: Skype feiert! Dieses Mal das Klassenzimmer mit Skype in the Classroom – - Skype Blogs

45. Pingback: Celebrating Top Ways to Use Skype in the Classroom – - Skype Blogs

46. Pingback: Celebrating Top Ways to Use Skype in the Classroom | Caelus Green Room

47. Jackie Ross says:

I too, have a student with cancer who recently had a bone marrow transplant. I love your idea, and am wondering if you have found any other ways to include your homebound student? We had a DARE officier visiting one day, and he was able to SKYPE also with our class and Ava. Do you have any other ideas? I am searching for more ideas to include her! Mrs. Ross

From Brian: Yes – Blogs, wikis, Google Hangouts and more. Feel free to contact me email: learningismessy@gmail.com